Q. How do we import cars to Japan?

■Customs Formalities

With the liberalized car import policy, vehicles imported into Japan are treated as general goods. Import of completed cars must go through the customs formalities like every other imported item does.


Although no customs duty is imposed on ready-made vehicles, the consumption tax is imposed on vehicles when they are cleared through customs.


Registration number plates must be obtained for a vehicle to be used in Japan. Evidence of emission compliance from an official testing laboratory is required to obtain number plates. Efforts to comply with the safety standards are also necessary.

Q. How do we ship our own cars to Japan?

The customs formalities, taxes and regulations are exactly the same as those for non-owned vehicles to be imported to Japan. (See above.) The following helps you obtain expedited customs clearance and a Japanese driver’s license:

■Carnet de Passage

Carnet de Passage is (official appellation: “AIT/FIA Carnet de Passages en Douane”) is an internationally recognized customs document that entitles the holder to temporarily import a vehicle (or a motorcycle) without the need to pay the appropriate customs duties and taxes. Although temporarily imported vehicles do not need to be registered, they have to be re-exported within a year which is the validity period of the carnet. When temporarily importing a vehicle, a Carnet de Passages en Douane that is issued in every country like a passport must be obtained.

■Japanese driver’s license

JAF provides translated written materials for foreigners who possess a driver’s license that has been issued overseas and wish to apply for a Japanese driver’s license.


Q. Does EURU provide referrals to its members and/or relevant organizations?

EURU does not provide referrals to its members or relevant companies or associations. Please them directly.

Q. What is the membership made up of?

EURU has a full listing of its member companies available on its website. Click here for more information.

Q. How do we make inquiries about EURU members?

There may be some specific information EURU cannot impart to website visitors.

All the information EURU can provide is available on its website. For further information, individual companies directly.

Q. How do we apply for membership?

Before making an application, every membership applicant must ensure that an import agreement has been signed with a foreign automaker and must be committed to continuously import and distribute vehicles in Japan, provide warranty for vehicles they sell in place of the automaker, provide after sales services, take safety measures, address issues of pollution prevention, issue product recall notices, and supply parts and components.

Q. How much does a membership cost?

Enrollment fee (500,000 yen), membership fee (1,200,000 yen annually) and industrial levy (annual amount: to be computed depending on the number of units sold/registered in Japan)

Statistical Data

Q. Does EURU have statistical data available to website visitors?

EURU compiles and makes public data on sales of imported vehicles sold in Japan.

All the information EURU can offer to non-members is available on its website.

EURU does not release in-depth sales data by model, region or manufacturer or release data on used vehicles.


Q. Does EURU recruit new hires or help people find employment?

EURU currently has no vacant positions. New or vacant positions will be advertised on the website when available.

EURU does not provide job placement or recruitment services.